The Community & Medical Interpretation Services (CMIS) was created…
- Under the auspices of Child Development Resources in support of compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
- To assist agencies in the implementation of National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services.
- In response to the influx of foreign-born persons and the increased need for interpreters by many local area agencies that provide services to individuals who have limited English speaking proficiency.
- Because of inadequacies in language interpretation by non-trained interpreters occurring during an encounter between agency and a limited English speaking customer. Recent studies have found that an average of 31 errors occur during a single encounter when not using trained interpreters.
- To diminish the potential for liability based on the outcome of delivered services thus creating the need to provide professionally trained interpreters to facilitate an agency’s service.
Our Mission is…
- To ensure accurate and effective communication between service providers and their limited English speaking customer(s).
- Health Care Providers
To request CMIS Interpretation Services, click here. *
To request CMIS Translation Services, click here. *
* Please email completed forms to CMIS@cdr.org. If you are requesting translation services, please send a copy of the document to be translated along with the request form.
Discover the Benefits to Your Business or Institution
- We support your services by helping decrease the risk of a potential infringement on civil right laws and to assist you in leveraging the power for growth or expansion.
- You will have reliable, ethical and principled trained professionals who are always available to meet the interpretation/translation needs of your institution or business.
- The services our Interpreters provide will help you increase your client pool and unlock your customer access to move ahead of the competition.
Our Proposal and Promise to You
- The first two hours of interpretation are free and scheduled per hour or together.
- Receive the most reasonable rates from a non-profit organization.
- Flexible and reliable scheduling.
- Quick response for short notice requests.
CMIS Access is Simple
- Call or complete the provided electronic form to request an interpreter.
- Email or fax request using information on this page or the bottom of the request form.
- A CMIS representative will schedule and confirm your request.
Phone: 757-566-3300 Ext 140
Ask for the CMIS Administrator
150 Point O’Woods Road, Williamsburg, VA 23188